Friday, April 6, 2007

Lounging in Kinshasa

They tell me that flying in Kinshasa is either feast or famine. Last week I was beginning to think that this job would quickly burn me out - this week I am doing nothing, except study. I am kinda enjoying this week of relaxation because it is allowing me to acclimate to my surroundings.

I am finding that I really like the people that I am based with. I love that most of the pilots share my values and beliefs. David Cathey, a King Air pilot, was the senior pilot of four months when I got here. He comes from Dallas, Texas where he priviously flew a Dimond jet for a coporate organization. This week his wife Amy came for a two week visitation and I have been getting to know her as well. She also flies for a corporate organization in Dallas but she would love to come fly for Air Serv. David and Amy both have a desire to serve God and others through the use of their flying skills. I really appreciate their sincere attitude and genuine faith. We have had some really good conversations. (David and Jared on the left)

Then there is Andy. He is the only pilot presently checked out in the Caravan at this base. He and I have been coupled together for the duration of my training. He is a really cool, smart, quiet, maticulate, and great guy. The other night we inadvertantly got into a conversation about faith and I found that we have a lot in common. He struggles with many of the same issues that I do. He told me that if I ever get a chance, I should read The Cost of Discipleship by Deitrich Bonhoffer. It is ironic that that same book was one of the few books that I brought with me to Africa, and I was planning on reading it next.

Next there is Jared. He and I went to Hesston together so we were already good friends. I guess it is an understood that he is a really great guy. Right now he is flying the King Air, but when I get checked out in the Caravan, he will probably get checked out as well so that we have more pilots cross trained in both airplanes.

Yesterday I got to talk to several Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) pilots that are based here on the field with us. They have three airplanes based here: a Cessna 206, 207 and 208(Caravan). Apperently they do some of the same kind of things that we do. I originally thought that most of their work was geared more towards missions but I guess they do some contract work as well. When the USAID contract that we now have was up for bid, they pursued it as well.

Well, I guess I am going to head on out and get my some more passport photos taken. Here lately an immigration official in MBendaka has been giving Air Serv a hard time about their Visas. He claims that they are only for travel and not for work. It is funny how it was sufficient for all these years, now we are illegal. (It is suspected that he is really looking for a way to get bribes) So now we are just going to get residence visas. That will be kinda cool to have.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been reading and keeping up to date. Clint