Thursday, March 6, 2008

Back On-line

So what has happened since my last post? Nothing all that exciting, but for those of you who are wondering, I had best provide an update.

At the end of December I finally got a much needed R&R. On December 24 I left for Delaware and spent the Christmas holidays at home with my family. It was a good time of rest and relaxation, but more importantly, Shawn, Evie and myself got much needed planning done for this summer's bike trip from Maine to Oregon. June 3 we plan on embarking on a three month bike trip from coast to coast. I can't wait.

Since my return to Congo, flying has been quite busy. I picked up nearly 200 hrs of flying in January and February because I was the only plane and pilot flying down here in Lubumbashi. Fortunately several more pilots have arrived and there are rumors of another airplane coming to Lubumbashi to add to our fleet.

Back in September Lane Wallace, a lady from the Flying Magazine, came out to Africa to experience and write about bush flying in Africa. She did a three part series in which two of the articles were specifically about Air Serv operations in Chad and the DRC. I found the articles quite interesting, although I do think she over-dramatized them just a little. All the same, it was good publicity for our company. The third and final article is about our flying here in the Congo. Check out the photo gallery - quite nice.

Desert Caravan (January 2008)

Refugees and Legionnaires (February 2008)

Turbulence in Congo (March 2008)

Well, last week brought me to my one year anniversary with Air Serv. I finished my first contract and I'm on to my second. I will stick around until mid-May and then return to the states for three months to complete my bike trip. I will then hopefully return in September for another stay in Africa. I guess that means I really like my job :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biking from Maine to Oregon, eh?

That's excellent. I hope you don't die of anticipation between now and summer, although I suppose that flying airplanes in africa would be an excellent attention-holder also.

Be blessed, dude.

Anonymous said...

Check out the new website and you need to go on Internet Explorer instead of Firefox.............. Love you, Mom =))

http://www.gms-flames.org/alumni.htm